Take a leadership role in protecting the environment while creating economic value and strengthening your community. Become an essential leader at the 1st airport in North America to achieve Carbon Neutral Operations and also the 1st to receive the EPA Climate Leadership Award. As the 3rd busiest airport in the world, DFW International Airport employs a culture of innovation and environmental excellence, and with this you will be exposed to a wide base of environmental programs and technologies to ensure DFW can continue to operate in a manner that embraces sustainability while improving business.
Under general supervision, the position will interface daily with the Project Manager in the planning and management of DFW Airport's Environmental Design and Construction Program. Responsibilities will include conducting construction site compliance inspections, overseeing and reporting contractor activities, sampling, data entry, meeting with stakeholders to represent the airport's environmental interests, and writing/preparing inspection reports and other related documentation. The candidate is required to demonstrate a specific understanding of TCEQ's Texas Pollution Discharge Elimination System (TPDES) for Construction Activity and EPA's National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) for Construction Activity. The position is required to perform technical work within an office environment as well as manual field labor. Technical judgement is required to interpret and apply provisions of the policies to the project.
What you will be doing:
- Perform field investigations, inspections and remediation having impact on assigned airport environmental program(s), construction sites and properties; perform and/or directs testing and sampling of soil, water, building materials and/or air in accordance with applicable regulatory criteria; analyzes and interprets data. Collection of samples involves access to remote, undeveloped sites and must be performed in all weather. Carries collection equipment to and from collection sites.
- Conduct routine on-site environmental compliance inspections of assigned project sites. Evaluates performance of BMP's and makes recommendations for improved operation.
- Maintain databases as required and prepare technical reports to a variety of state and federal agencies, review contractual agreements, and make presentations to stakeholders and regulatory agencies
- Manage multiple concurrent projects, balance competing priorities, and ensure client's needs are met.
- Support the Airport's Spill Response and winter weather operations which can include weekends, holidays, and overnight schedules. Responds to environmental emergencies; coordinates response actions, deploys emergency intervention devices such as booms, absorbent materials, and neutralizing agents.
- Administer assigned environmental compliance program(s); analyzes federal, state and local environmental regulations that impact airport property, planning and/or operations and develops options for compliance with impacted work and/or operational areas; make recommendations and assists in developing program plans.
- Clearly articulate environmental objectives and expectations with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Maintain an understanding of client processes and assists clients in the continuous improvement of processes within environmental regulatory requirements.
- Evaluate and develop comments on proposed state and federal laws and regulations.
- Meet with representatives of state and federal agencies and local municipalities; respond to agency requests for information during site visits.
- Assist with the development and implementation of DFW Airport's Environmental Management System (EMS) and Community Outreach programs.
What you need:
- Bachelor's degree in physical or life sciences, environmental science, engineering or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two (2) years of professional experience in environmental operations, environmental analysis or environmental program administration.
- Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for the above.
- Possession of a valid Class C driver's license.
What we desire:
- Any of the following Certifications: Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control (CISEC), Certified Erosion, Sediment and Stormwater Inspector (CESSWI), Certified Professional in Erosion & Sediment Control, Registered Environmental Manager certification (REM), LEED GA
- Experience with Wetland Delineation and USACE Nationwide Permits
- Experience with National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Threatened and Endangered Species, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and Historical Places
- Experience with utilizing software programs: ArcMap GIS, VEOCI, HTML, Access, and other databases and business software
- Experience with: TRRP or other waste remediation activities; Asbestos, Mold, Lead; Oil Pollution Act and SPCC plans; Texas Railroad Commission and Natural Gas Drilling Operations; Tree Conservation and Mitigation Programs
- Experience with construction equipment and site safety
- Experience with EPA Method 9 Opacity Training
- Must obtain a Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) Airport Identification/Access Badge (badge) in accordance with Department of Homeland Security Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements in Chapter 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 1500 et. Al. and DFW Airport's Airport Security Program within thirty (30) days from date of employment and maintain qualification for a SIDA badge upon each badge renewal.
- This is a designated safety sensitive position as defined in DFW Airport's Drug and Alcohol Administrative Policy and Procedure. Applicants selected for this position will be required to pass a drug screening test prior to employment and to submit to drug screening on a random basis during the length of their employment in the safety sensitive position.
- This is a designated essential employee position as defined in the Categories and Classifications of Employees Policy of the Airport Administrative Policy and Procedure. This is defined as an employee whose attendance is required to maintain airport operations during an emergency or inclement weather situation.
We are Dallas Fort Worth International (DFW) Airport- one of the most successful airports in the world by any definition. We're recognized for our innovation, leadership, drive for excellence and talented employees.
Our success is made possible because of the diverse talents of nearly 2,000 employees who champion our mission of providing an exceptional airport experience to our customers and connect our community to the world. We're looking for the best talent to join us and help reimagine what an airport can be.
Bring your talents to DFW. Live and work with purpose.