The Director of Public Safety for DFW Airport is a vice president level position that leads and manages an elite team of safety professionals in law enforcement, firefighting, security, and special services tasked with ensuring a safe and secure environment for customers, employees, tenants, and contractors. This role will have the opportunity to work with an organization that is dedicated to excellence. As the Director of Public Safety, you will have access to new facilities, a best-in-class fire training center that is unique in the world. In this role you will provide direct leadership to Assistant Directors and will report to the Executive Vice President of Airport Operations.
What you will be doing:
- Supporting the overall Board mission and strategic imperatives as they apply to the police, fire service, and security services.
- Coordinating departmental activities and operations with other Airport departments and with other governmental agencies concerned with public safety.
- Establishing department policies, standards, and procedures.
- Preparing the departmental operating and capital budgets and administering expenditures of the approved budget.
- Providing crisis/emergency command, management, and direction during critical situations; coordinating physical response, interface, and coordination with correspondent agencies; coordinating public response and policy implementation.
- Personally handling more difficult public relations problems involving public safety issues.
What you need:
- Bachelor's degree in law enforcement, fire, safety management, aviation security, or police administration or related field.
- Ten (10) years of experience in law enforcement, transportation security, aviation security, public safety or firefighting including at least five (5) years of progressively responsible administrative experience
- Or any equivalent combination of education and experience that produces the required knowledge, skills and abilities for the position.
- Possession of a valid Class C driver's license.
- Must obtain a Security Identification Display Area (SIDA) Airport Identification/Access Badge (badge) in accordance with Department of Homeland Security Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements in Chapter 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations Part 1500 et al., and DFW Airport’s Airport Security Program within thirty (30) days from date of employment and maintain qualification for a SIDA badge upon each badge renewal.
- This is a designated safety sensitive position as defined in DFW Airport’s Drug and Alcohol Administrative Policy and Procedure. Applicants selected for this position will be required to pass a drug test prior to employment and to submit to drug screening on a random basis during the length of their employment in the safety sensitive position.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an FBI Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) clearance.
What we desire:
- Extensive knowledge of modern law enforcement, aviation security and fire administration principles, practices, techniques, methods, and equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of the international laws and accords, rules, regulations applicable to fire, law enforcement services and governing airport operation and security.
- Ability to plan, organize, staff, coordinate and direct the activities of a multi-function, cross-trained public safety department and remain calm and resourceful in crisis situations.
- Ability to convey ideas clearly, establish priorities, standards, and procedures for public safety both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, Board officials, other public officials, and the public.
We are Dallas Fort Worth International (DFW) Airport—one of the most successful airports in the world by any definition. We’re recognized for our innovation, leadership, drive for excellence and talented employees.
Our success is made possible because of the diverse talents of nearly 2,000 employees who champion our mission of providing an exceptional Airport experience to our customers and connect our community to the world. We’re looking for the best talent to join us and help us re-imagine what an airport can be.
Bring your talents to DFW and live and work with purpose.